Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Redoing Old Paintings


I belong to a critique group, called Critical Thumb Group.  We meet once per month and critique each other's paintings.  By the way, I encourage all of you to form a critique group.  It's a great way to get feedback from other artists.  A new set of eyes to challenge you to be a better artist.  Our group has 10 members, and that is the maximum that I would recommend.  This month, we were instructed to bring old paintings that we didn't like.  We all exchanged paintings, and then painted revisions, using acrylic, caran d'ache crayons, and whatever else we could find.  It was great fun, a lot of laughs and a great lesson for me.  Below is the painting that I started with.  My favorite part of the painting was the right flower section.  I liked the rhythm there.  These were colors that I usually don't use, so that was a fun challenge too.  I kept telling myself, get big simple shapes in, but my brush had other ideas.  We only worked on these for about an hour, which is hard for me, since I am typically a slow painter.  In analyzing the finished painting now, I can tell you that my brain was right.  I should have gotten the big simple shapes in there first.  Way too busy!  Tomorrow, I will show you what I do with busy paintings.  This one's not done yet! 

4 comments:

  1. Hi Karen, The "make over" really made this painting special! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some really great ideas here Karen. Thanks! It's also nice to know there is always hope for that pile of "painting wannabees" in my closet! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Karen, great blog! I look forward to following you! Happy Painting! Kami

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your imagery is rich and dreamy. Beautiful and fantastic paintings.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...