Thursday, January 26, 2017

Day 26: 30 Paintings in 30 Days!

"Rock Springs"       $99.    SOLD
Image:  15" x 11"   watercolor
Today, I chose to do an easy painting.  It was such fun to work totally wet into wet.  First I wet the Arches cold press paper on both sides and let it soak in before starting.  I began, changing colors often and creating a dark trail that leads the viewer's eye toward the bottom of the paper.  Then I changed to a 1/2 inch flat brush and I added depth to the rocks and the tree masses. When the paper almost loses it's shine, I lifted out the negative space between the trees.  It was so fun to see the white paper when doing this.  Trying to vary the shapes of the background lights is important.  Adding salt at the bottom of the paper for a feeling of water running off the rocks.  I thought I was done at this point, but after an hour of viewing it from the couch, I decided that it needed more.  The first version is below.  I decided to add illusionary lines for a little more depth.  To do this, you draw a light box shape, then paint on the outside of the shape partly, and then switch to painting on the inside.  This should be a very light wash, so that you can make it disappear. I like the finished version lots better.  Do you agree?

3 comments:

  1. Yes I like the finished piece, more dramatic. Thanks for sharing the process Karen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the first one, it's enough in itself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such interesting work and lots of things to see and try. Glad I say your work on the 30/30 page so that I could sign up to get your posts - very cool stuff!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...